June 6, 2014

Five whole years!

For all of the guilt I felt this year, I only read one fewer book than last year, so the graphs don't look as bad as I feared they would when planning this post. Where in previous years I've had trends one way or the other, this year was all over the place. Eighteen books were read, and more were bad than good--quite a few more--which explains some of my book-apathy. (Vampire Diaries probably explains the rest.)



I'm still pleased to see that I read some high-star books this year, because most had slipped my mind. Luckily, that's the whole point of this blog, to remind me about stuff like that. The four-star books fell in July and October, so it doesn't look like they spurred me to huge book-heights thereafter. On the other hand, the three-and-a-half-star books were the last two on the graph, so maybe there's something to hope for next year.

What drove the high months: July and January? Totally different things. January brought a good amount of fluff (Devil Wears Prada and Bridget Jones sequels, plus the Divergent series) that was easy to read fast. Not exactly an advertisement for the value of reading, but it was fun. July yielded solid books by good authors: David Sedaris, Khaled Hosseini, and Michael Pollan. These I gobbled up because I thought I'd want to based on past experience, even if the star ratings didn't pay off that well.

It seems like the goal for next year if I want to pump up the output is one of the following:
  1. Make more time for reading. This is what I should be doing all along. If you're following my other blog you are aware that the nursing-reading time will be back soon, so that's something.
  2. Read a bunch of trash. Trash is fast. But, really, is that the point?
  3. Get my favorite authors to write me some more books so I can enjoy them. Since I don't have their numbers, I think the best thing might be to go borrow/buy some other books by the authors in the three-to-four-star heap. My friend already started on another John Green novel--maybe I will, too.
Hey, at least I haven't quit entirely. Small wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment