August 28, 2014

Last of the YAs for a while

Dashner, James. The Maze Runner. New York: Delacorte Press, 2009.

Dashner, James. The Scorch Trials. New York: Delacorte Press, 2010.

Dashner, James. The Death Cure. New York: Delacorte Press, 2011.

This trilogy was such a fast read--I bought each right after finishing the previous--that I figured I might as well write about them together. They're intertwined in my mind, and fading fast anyway since I finished them a week or so ago.

I think I'm done with young-adult fiction for now (at least the book version, as I just got started on Gossip Girl), after going through quite a few in the last several months. I'm also about done with dystopian future-or-alternate-universe books, which seem to be quite in vogue these days. Oh, and it continues the theme of books being turned into movies, too.

It doesn't bear too much explaining here, but it's the story of Thomas and friends (of the adolescent, not train, variety) who are first trapped in a weird farm-world surrounded by a murderous-creature-filled maze, then face a variety of other challenges in the desert and plague-infected city. All of it is for a good cause, according to a shadowy organization that claims to be saving the world from said plague that started after solar flares whacked Earth.

Themes of my recent reading aside, the trilogy wasn't a bad read. I didn't highlight much out of either annoyance or joy. My main pet peeve was the secret language used by the characters--maybe because YA novels aren't supposed to use regular "bad" language they had to make up their own (like "klunk"). I just wanted some good old f-words here and there. I was amused by the frequent references to how confusing and challenging the situations were ("nothing has ever made sense and it probably never will"), so the reader doesn't feel too lonely while saying "what the klunk" to himself. And, mostly, I wanted to find out what happened, which is both the sign of a decent book and a serious Kindle-sale motivator.

I'm even mildly curious about the movie version to see how different it is from what I pictured. Like, Netflix-level curious.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment