August 14, 2014

They are not synonyms, people!

Levithan, David. Every Day. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2012.

Every Day has a very interesting premise: that the main character's personality (soul? perspective?) inhabits a different body every day, a body that has aged just as much as that personality (currently about sixteen) and is somewhere within a couple hours' drive of the place from the day before. It's something he (it? let's say he) has learned to deal with over time, until one day he meets a girl and has a magical time that he can't let go. The rest of the story revolves around him trying to get back to that girl and to convince her that they can make it work even though he's swapping daily between overweight outcast boy, football star, and goth girl. The challenge is oddly similar to making an amnesiac remember she loves you (like 50 First Dates)--but totally different.

The trouble is, for all that uniqueness, I didn't like the book so much. The main thing that peeved me was the insistent use (at least seven times) of "enormity," as in "the quiter astonishments that enormity can offer" or "they want to touch the enormity." Another book I just finished (yes, I have four to write about) properly used "vastness." Come on. Who's editing books these days? I realize some people don't care about the distinction, since it's fading in some dictionary definitions, but I do, and I'd think literary editors would.

Alas, I should have written about this book when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, because now I can't remember much more than that. While it was a new idea, I didn't really care about the main character (he was pretty whiny), though I didn't mind the path he chose at the end. At a minimum, I can say the story wasn't enormously annoying.

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment