August 14, 2014

Secrets in the map

Green, John. Paper Towns. New York: Dutton Books, 2008.

Luckily, the author of The Fault in Our Stars has written several other books from which I could choose at random. I'll probably get to all of them eventually, because the one I picked next, Paper Towns, was worth my time.

Also lucky is that it's less sad than The Fault in Our Stars, because I don't need to bawl my eyes out with every novel. This story is written from a boy's perspective, an average nerdy suburban boy with a couple of nerdy friends who just happens to live next door to the school's queen bee who harbors a secret affection for him and a secret hope of getting away from it all. After he spends a crazy night with her, living out her revenge fantasies, she disappears. He spends the rest of the book searching for her.

Instead of highlighting annoying editing choices, I highlighted good passages in this book--always a hint that I'm enjoying it. Weird things like a character whose parents collect black Santas, rants like "every moment in your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college," and interesting observations like "you could not say that Margo Roth Spiegelman was fat, or that she was skinny, any more than you can say that the Eiffel Tower is or is not lonely," and the excellent use of the semi-word "suburbanality."

"Forever is composed of nows," reads another passage near the end of the book. That rang true, and one of the enjoyable nows was reading this book. I'm sure I'll read Green's others.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment